22 March 2011

This is goodbye

I thought this blog has direction - provide a means to bridge the all too technical world of hackintosh pros and common language of the hackintosh newbies to lessen the fear of initiation. I thought that since not all have the resources to get pass the "newbie stage", then perhaps not all is expected to get elbow deep in hackintoshing i.e. develop their own kexts and tinker with their own DSDT.aml's. There's a role like a mediator that needs to be filled out.

After all, the masters get pissed off when a newbie asks "stupid questions".

But then the harsh reality gets more, well, real. That newbies are not at all welcome to the hackintoshing world if they're not willing to advance. To be honest, there was a time when I felt this way too. Why do I need to write careful guides anyway? Why do I need to answer those "stupid questions" anyway? I felt that I was one of them "masters" too. But, thankfully, I woke up from that reverie. For aside from a little DSDT.aml editing, some shuffling of kexts from one location to another, the occasional AppleScripting and PackageMaker projects, I was way way way behind in terms of knowledge in comparison to the most brilliant of minds.

And so I told myself that as a way of keeping that humble realization in mind, I'd keep this blog in which to record my experience in trying out what's out there, share how I translated tech stuff that sounded practically jibberish at first for me, so that the next person interested in this hobby could skip the headache of having to decipher jibberish just to get started.

And so I gave way, playing the role of an understanding older sister, willing myself to be stepped on, labelled as imbecile for my queries so I could understand something new on the forums in behalf of the misfortunate few who are indeed less well-versed in this kind of activity but with no lesser gusto to get into the game.

But there comes a time when people get tired; get tired of people being pissed off with them, get tired of being categorized under the "mangled-brains-cannot-understand-simple-Chameleon-compiling-instructions"; get tired of paying reverence to the shrine of the masters.

There is no such thing as making hackintoshing newbie-friendly. For simply put, there is no place for newbies in the hackintosh world. They will only forever be crushed under the giants' feet if they're not giants themselves from the get go.

Why do I feel the need to make the different ends of the OSx86 ecosystem meet and understand each other when there's no mutual desire from both ends to be able to communicate well?

It will always be that the newbie has to become less of a newbie.

Logically, that has some valid points. Plus who am I to say otherwise?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've appreciated your efforts here
LeMaurien19 and wish you would reconsider. The pages here translate the vague into the useful ...much like your language studies will do for you in the present/future.

Yes, king-sized egos and tantrums get in the way, but taking much of that to heart is a mistake, IMO.

Not all people in life are easy to get along with, but how one perseveres in those situations is integral in their path to happiness.

Sometimes walking away from a situation is best, but the character that is built through
hardship can be the most satisfying.

However, if you choose to go, I wish you the best in your studies and life.

Anonymous said...

I have read what TheKing has written. I do not think he understands the importance of your work to those without the skills to make use of his (and others) work.

If you had been taking credit for the work of others I would not know where to look for the reason for your decision to depart.

Bottom line without LeMaurien19, TheKing's work is worthless to me. I need you both.

Please reconsider.

J

Unknown said...

I just want to say that I have enjoyed your posts. Your enthusiasm is contagious. You are correct to keep a proper prospective as to what is important. Whatever you decide to do there will be people who will wish you the best and encourage you to excel in your endeavors.

Elijah said...

It's a shame that you chose now to end this blog. As I just purchased my 311 only yesterday, after having started looking at them when you first created this blog.

I was really looking forward to rereading all your blog posts in hopes that I could take what knowledge I have of hackintosh already and use your insight to forge my own path in the hackintosh community.

Thank you for all that you have done, and it wouldn't be right to ask anymore of you.

DasKreestof said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

you are honestly over reacting and care far too much about people whom don't matter~

DasKreestof said...

It sounds like you have bullied by people, probably on the www.projectosx.com forums.
I'd like you to reconsider for two reasons.
1. If you stop, they win. Don't ever let a bully win. They don't matter. Everyone has their own opinion: let them keep theirs on their site, and don't let them affect your site.

2. Your blog is awesome, and so helpful for the newbie like me. OSX86 is not nearly as useful for HP Mini 311 owners. Too much old and conflicting information to sort through.

If I'm wrong and it's for other reasons, I apologize. Just please don't remove your site. I need it to repartition my hackintosh and without your site I'm sure that I will never get the OSX partition ever working again.

I wish you the best and thank you for all the hard work you've done.

mosslack said...

I do understand completely, I've played the big brother role as well, trying to bridge the gap. But I too found out that some of those who think they know it all, know very little about people. If you do decide to call it a day, you will be missed. I for one found your postings to be very informative and most pleasant to read. Hope you reconsider and stay the course.

Tetonne said...

do not stop please
you're job is very pleasant to read and if i'm there i try to deliver pack (after mowglibook) it's thanks to u who show me how to start!
do not stop please
Tetonne

Unknown said...

Please let me speak from, kinda, both sides of the issue.

First, not all newbs are unwelcome. I'm kind of a "newb forever" too, because I don't give a damn about system programming. I have read the DSDT specification once and concluded that it all sounds Greek to me. I just despise C++ too much to write a single .kext. I do application programming, after all, and don't feel like I should devote too much life to thorough understanding of how Darwin works deep inside, just for the sake of getting my work done.

I don't think it's utter ignorance, just some pragmatism on my side.

On the other hand, I do realise that hackintosh is not for the faint of heart. It is trying to get a system to run on hardware it was never ever intended to run on, and will, officially, never be. It should be taken for granted that things will break; it is a miracle if they don't. That being said, I think those digging deep into system's innards expect some meaningful feedback which will help them, and then, everyone, to move on.

For the feedback to be helpful and meaningful, there's no need to be a hacker, but there's need to have a basic clue on how the system works. The users of a real macs can allow themselves a luxury of ignorance; after all, they have paid for that. Users who expect the things will "just work" will be disappointed.

And I suppose it's those users being a source of frustration. They first come with nothing but "What buttons should I press to get it done?", and when something goes wrong, they return and blame those in charge, instead of trying and providing the information to get it fixed. They also have a habit to pester hackers to get things they want done ASAP, which is a bad move in and of itself, I think you see why.

This is a community which demands that favors are returned, because this is how we get things done at all. It's not paid work (and will probably never be, because it's the only way to make Apple at the very least ignore us and not take active countermeasures), but those who benefit from it are expected to give at least something in return.

From what I see, you do just that; at least you have been trying. You are not a programmer, but your posts reveal a diligent mind and willingness to share your experience. You are keen on learning and understanding things, not always requiring others to hold your hand. Should I state the obvious that it's a Good Thing? The only thing I wish for is more people like you around.

Too bad if you've got counted along with people who produce nothing but line noise and ask to "send me teh codez plz". Bad for those people who got you counted there, of course. I've been in the boat of hacking things together long enough to know two things: 1) it could be understood and even tolerated when geeks have no social skills, but 2) the lack of social skills is not something to be proud of.