28 October 2009

Take Root

This isn't about sudoing in Terminal but still has a lot to do with the OSx86 community which we all love; noobs and seasoned hackintoshers alike.


Remember Psystar? Yeah, those selling PC systems compatible with Mac OS X that they call "Open Systems". They're currently in a long run of a legal suite against Apple. But they're continuing to sell their stuff as the trial moves on in court; the latest offering being what we know as "Rebel EFI". You can download Rebel EFI which promises to make installing Mac OS X on any PC and as easily as it's done on real Macs. But to get the most out of it, you gotta shell out $50; it'll take out the 2-hour usage limit the company has locked Rebel EFI in. It says:
**Must have purchased authentication code to permanently  install**

Now what is Rebel EFI? From the looks of it, it most probably is a bootloader variant just like Chameleon, PC EFI, Boot Think, XPC, etc. Psystar says its based on DUBL - Darwin Universal Boot Loader which they developped.
Okay. Point in case.
But what's this?
And also this?
Really fishy.
FakeSMC is more open, in fact, than OpenSMC, me thinks.
But I do not wish to dabble in the controversy and burst into fits of passion for the burning love for OSx86 so I'm responding in a way I see more fit: buy Snow Leopard from Apple. (I've actually bought the retail DVD about a couple weeks back, ever since I've made my SL install on my MacBook Mini as stable as I could get it).



So that's $29 versus $50.


For only $21 more, I could have been "saved from the pain of installation hassles" like configuration coupled with patient researching on the net.


Hmmm. Really now?


I'd say I would not trade the hackintoshing lessons learned for only $21. My brain's more valuable than that.


Vive la communauté OSx86.


Mabuhay ang OSx86.

2 comments:

shawin said...

All you say is true. Without good guides as yours though, it wouldn't be easy for newbies.
Thanks a lot for the guide. Now I need one for my AMD-based PC.

Grid said...

yeah, you're right. Hackintoshing can really be daunting at first. to psystar: source code please for anything in Rebel EFI that's derived from open source code. :)