11 September 2009

Obsessed

I got Snow Leopard via dearest torrent just this last weekend; I devoted the next two days trying to cram in this latest cat into my MacBook Mini. This is as close as I could possibly get:


1) Downloaded this package thanks to the guys at msiwind.net


2) Used my hackintoshed MSI Wind: Disk utility > Partition external HDD as GUID > Restore Snow Leo Retail image to GUID partition


3) Install Netbookmaker on it.


4) Rebooted the MSI Wind, hit F11 and chose restore Snow Leo partition to boot from: installed Snow Leo to another partition on the same external HDD (I split it into 2 GUID paritions).


5) Once installation was done, I rebooted the wind, ran the Snow Leo installer (the restored partition, not the installed one) and went to Utilities > Reset password to create a password for the root user. I chose of course the partition on which I'd installed Snow Leo (not the one where I restored the installer DVD on)


6) I unplugged the external HDD from the MSI Wind to connect it to the HP Mini, started the Mini and pressed F9 during startup to boot from the partition where I'd installed Snow Leo.


It boots alright into Snow Leo!!! :D



And with the correct 1024 x 600 resolution as bonus! But aside from the resolution, keyboard and (sometimes buggy) bluetooth, nothing else works. Here's a video:
Notes: The external HDD installer I made by restoring the Snow Leo Retail DVD on it and applying Netbookmaker actually boots up fine on the HP Mini. So you ask, why not just use it to install directly on the HP Mini's internal HDD?


Well, the installation doesn't finish - I get stuck at "7 minutes left" and when I check Install log, it's reporting a missing dsdt.aml/something-can't-remember-anymore that's missing from the ramdisk (installed on the partition by Netbookmaker). This doesn't happen on the MSI Wind.


As to why that happens, I've no idea. Perhaps I could tinker with the ramdisk and all that Netbookmaker pizzaz but I'm fairly new to this installation method which is pretty neat as it allows for a Vanilla install and it's a modern hackintosh method.


I'll be retracing my steps to fine tune this install process. Although admittedly, I'm not ready to give up the MSI Wind to yield a purely HP Mini install process - it's easier with the MSI Wind hackintosh around.


The main point for now, for me, is to get Snow Leo on the HP Mini's internal HDD.


Oh and by the way, 10.6.1 update is out



LeMaurien19

No comments: