11 July 2009

Insecure

Now I don't exactly know if that's how you write the word to describe a computer that's not secure. But I do  know that's how one girl I know felt after watching Transformes: Revenge of the Fallen (does Megan Fox really have to wear real skimpy shorts while drawing on the motor bike and do her lips need to be in perpetual pout, even when in the desert and Decepticons were trying to kill her and Shia Labeouf's characters? Hahaha)

These days, my MacBook Mini's becoming well integrated with my daily computing experience. That is, I find less and less things to tweak with it - aside from that (a) audio and (b) mic functionality which is still (a) imperfect and (b) not working at all even with VoodooHDA already installed.OpenHaltRestart.kext seems to be acting up still as it occurs sometimes that MacBook Mini fails to complete the Restart process.

All in all, I think I'm reaching a plateau here. I've just done the fan tweak and so far so good - no major catastrophes whatsoever and congratulations to me by the way: it's been a month and a half since the last time I did a "wipe-out, reinstall" on MacBook Mini - the longest period I've gotten so far with the same installation! Hurray! I'd have gladly credited it all to a substantially improving emotional quotient, leveraging mainly on patience but I'd have to admit that it's just that work has been busy lately.

So what am I posting about this time?


I've finally figured out how to enable password required on wake up.

I'm addicted to Asian dramas and my mom who's always snooping around in my room (she's weird like that and sometimes I wish she were more like Charlie, Bella's dad in the Twilight series - yes, I read and watch that stuff too so pooh pooh the girly me all you want, it's ok coz it's the truth anyway) has started to tease me about watching my fave Taiwanese drama title for the Nth time. So I cannot, for the life of me, let her know that I've changed my desktop background to match what I'm currently watching on ikan.pplive.com - I'd die of humiliation. I gotta make sure she gets no inkling of what lurks behind the screen when she opens up MacBook Mini I've put to sleep on my study desk - yes, she'd go the extra mile of actually opening up my computer.

1) Fire up System Preferences > Security > General tab and tick the first checkbox "Require pasword to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver". You may have to authenticate first by clicking open the padlock icon at the bottom of the pane.

2) A dialogue sheet will appear asking you if you want to disable autologin if you have it enabled.



3) Logout first and then log back into your account before it'll actually work. I don't why but that's how it is.

Also, this won't work anymore once you reboot: you'll have to go b ack to Sys Pref and repeat the process all over again. Untick and tick again the checbox for the "Password reguired" option and then, same thing, logout and log back in again before putting the MacBook Mini to sleep for this to work.

For now this is fine for me as I don't switch off the Mini anyway and just put it to sleep most of the time when I'm done using it.

Oh and I should probably go see Dr. Phil; maybe he can do the Marshmallow Test on me and prescribe some sessions because I'm waiting on a new kitty: 16h 40min

2 comments:

alex said...

so there hasn't been any fix to the mic yet? im thinking of buying an hp mini just to install os x, but i might want to keep it running windows until all the glitches are ironed out

maurien19 said...

I'm afraid no mic as of date; the Mini's mic is hard to get working or so I've read somewhere in the www. Dual boot OS X with Win XP - the best of both worlds, so they say.